Effective Applications of Industrial Augmented Reality
Industrial augmented reality applications can drive value across the enterprise value chain and throughout a product’s lifecycle. Analyst research indicates that industrial AR applications offer easy deployment and a rapid ROI when deployed for specific solutions, particularly for manufacturing, service, and marketing and sales use cases.
Augmented 3D Work Instructions
Product complexity and the workforce skills gap increase the potential for human error and an unsafe work environment. Immersive AR experiences push back against these challenges with in-context, stepby-step instructions that boost safety, agility, and productivity for front-line workers.
- AR enables workers to visualise hidden components and complex data.
- AR can decrease inspection time and improve quality.
- AR can help reduce error-rates in assembly.
- AR can improve cycle-time and first-time fix-rates for maintenance and repair.
Augmented Training and Demonstration
As the industrial skills gap continues to widen, traditional training methods will not be sufficient to bring new workers up to speed quickly and effectively. AR accelerates the process of turning new hires into competent, effective workers.
- AR improves knowledge retention and ensures better-quality training.
- Training curriculum can simulate conditions that would be unsafe or impractical for trainees.
- Materials can be rapidly customized for upgraded content and user localization
Augmented Expert Guidance
Seasoned career experts are likely the most valuable human capital resource in your organisation. Unsurprisingly, they are usually in short supply and their expertise is expensive to utilise. AR can extend the reach and value of these experts in exciting ways. A class of AR solutions, like PTC’s Vuforia Expert Capture, facilitate the first-person recording of experts at work, allowing them to turn their expertise into a consumable, reusable knowledge asset—capable of training and guiding newer workers. Knowledge can be easily captured and scaled across the enterprise.
- New workers become competent faster by learning on-the-job.
- Standard Operating Procedures can be documented on-the-fly without disrupting high-value workers.
Remote assistance solutions enable experts to collaboratively solve problems by virtually connecting with less-seasoned colleagues through AR-enhanced video-sharing technology. As products grow more complex and competition requires industries to become more agile, these solutions help extract more value from your experts, without overtaxing individuals.
- Senior experts can virtually assist less experienced on-site techs, enabling a hybrid service approach that ensures positive outcomes while conserving resources.
- Remote assistance accelerates responses by allowing the closest technician to function competently as a “first responder” with AR-delivered backup.
Product & Solution Visualisation
Product visualisation is a cornerstone of AR. The ability to present a full-scale digital representation of physical products can solve several challenges.
- Full-scale virtual demos of expensive and unwieldly equipment can be provisioned for real-world environments.
- Interactive previews can reflect near-limitless customization.
- Products can be quickly reconfigured on-the-fly to meet specific customer requirements, without the need for time-consuming requoting.
When correctly implemented, industrial AR can have a transformative effect for any company. Specifically, AR has proven to improve processes and outcomes through a more effective, technical workforce. Digital transformation initiatives that include industrial AR can lead to increases in productivity, reduced waste, and safety and compliance improvements. Leading industrial companies are turning AR investments into real-world gains. With adoption easier than ever, the time to get started is now.
Improving Efficiency Across the Value Chain with Digital Product Visualization
Design review and demonstration have become increasingly important for product development and sales. However, there are several obstacles that can prevent a company from fully realising their product’s potential.
ABI Research explores how Augmented Reality improves product development and sales in three key areas:
• Product Visualisation and Interaction: Reduce the time required to design, iterate and sell products
• Real-Time Collaboration and Remote Service: Reduce travel costs via AR- enabled communication
• Workflow Guidance: Increase worker efficiency and reduce error rates